Updating from the Demo to the Full Version

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book I
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Updating from the Demo to the Full Version

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

If you play the demo and want to continue your saved games after you purchase the full version, it's no problem at all: Just uninstall the demo first, then install the Full Version. Your saved games should still be available.

Your saved game files reside in your "My Documents" folder, and uninstalling the demo won't remove those saved games. If you ever decide to completely remove the game, just nuke the folder "Eschalon Book I Saved Games" from your My Documents folder as well.

On a Macintosh, the saved game files reside in your "Documents" folder. On Linux, they are in the "Home" folder.
Last edited by BasiliskWrangler on December 10th, 2007, 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GSV3MiaC
Senior Council Member

Post by GSV3MiaC »

Thanks you for that - you should sticky this in the FAQ (actually the FAQ needs major rework now the game is actually out, but you knew that ..)
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yes, I am glad you brought this up.

After the 1.01 update I can no longer recommend continuing from the demo, especially with changes to the saved game code.
Rumtruffle
Initiate

Post by Rumtruffle »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Yes, I am glad you brought this up.

After the 1.01 update I can no longer recommend continuing from the demo, especially with changes to the saved game code.
BasiliskWrangler, i only played the demo up until you leave the deserted town at the beginning (not very far at all into the game, although it did take quite a while and deaths to get even that far for me) and clearing the dungeon under the town with the noximanders in it.

is it really not safe for me to use that save with the 1.03 version of the game? im not very far after all, has so much already been triggered in the game that the save wouldnt be compatible?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

You should be fine. That comment was just me being cautious, but I think your won't have any problems.

Also, for anyone else- the new 1.04 demo has all the updates, so my previous comment about not continuing the demo is even further false.
Darek Mace
Initiate

Post by Darek Mace »

Erm well here is a confuser for ya....

I have Windows Vista Prem. I installed demo 1.03 and played for a bit. I then installed demo 1.04 without first uninstalling 1.03 (lazy I know!). When I started it up my 1.03 save games were gone. I didn't care as I wanted to restart anyway. Liked the game and liked my char so just bought and installed version 1.03 full. Again I hadnt uninstalled 1.04 demo but did this AFTER installing full version. Still with me? Deep breath.....

Well when I launched full vers it had save games for old 1.03 demo not 1.04 demo. I thought maybe I'd deleted 1.04 saves when uninstalling 1.04, so I reinstalled 1.04 and it IS able to find the 1.04 save games and load them!

I did a system search to try and find them but it just shows the 1.03 ones. So my question is where are the 1.04 demo saves and are they compatible with 1.03 retail?? HELP!!
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Okay, the 1.04 demo has a new function in it- if it does not see your "My Documents" folder it will create the saved games in your installation folder.

Are you running a non-English edition of Vista, or is your "My Documents" spelled differently?
Darek Mace
Initiate

Post by Darek Mace »

Hi,

I am running uk Eng version of Vista. The path to savegames was

C:\Users\Mark\Documents\Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games

So it is 'documents' and not 'my documents'. However going down to C: doesn't show em either?
Darek Mace
Initiate

Post by Darek Mace »

Whoops did ya mean Eschalon install folder not vista? DOH! I'll have a look but thought I had already
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Yep, it is specifically looking for "My Documents", not "Documents". Hmmmm.....I better rethink this.

The saved games files should instead be in your game's installation directory, ie "c:/Program Files/Eschalon Book I/.."
alpha
Steward

Post by alpha »

why not just save games in $installdir/$charname/[slot0..slot9] ?????? I just don't get it, what's the fuck is so special about my documents folder?

Btw, I never ever,EVER use it, because it just sucks to have a space in a path, and having folders C:/usr , C:/tmp , C:/etc is way more convenient.
Incinerator Fuel = Pure Ownage xD
Darek Mace
Initiate

Post by Darek Mace »

Nope!

I've looked in both

C:\Program Files\Eschalon Book I

and

C:\Program Files\Eschalon Book I Demo

As I've said what's really wierd is that using search doesn't reveal them either, though they must surely be somewhere or I couldn't load em fro the demo?
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Darek: can you just do a search and find out where the system put the files? Try searching for "35.map" as that would surely be in there.

alpha: This is a Vista thing. Microsoft has urged developers to save application information in "My Documents" to avoid hassles with Vista's security features.
Darek Mace
Initiate

Post by Darek Mace »

Am already in the process of doing a system search set to everywhere looking for savename. Its found the usual suspects but not 1.04 ones. Stillrunning I'll try what you suggest and let you know. Thanks
Darek Mace
Initiate

Post by Darek Mace »

Ok found it. Search did not reveal location until I clicked add to index on location i was searching(MARK)! I've not been impressed with Vista search facility and I'm less impressed now!

As for the bizarre place it was installed:

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Eschalon Book I Demo\Eschalon Book 1 Saved Games

If you know why 1.04 saved there I'd love to know!

Thanks for your help anyway :wink: