3 Hours of searching-Cant find save folder on mac

Here's where all things related to Book II are being discussed!
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

3 Hours of searching-Cant find save folder on mac

Post by deathknight1728 »

Im pretty annoyed. I have copied the saves from my computer I was using at my parents. They had a mac and it was a little hard to find the saves but I found after a little trial and error. Now I am back to my computer and its been 3 hours of searching for the save folder for book 2. Little success.

It states on the main screen that the folder is /users/dknight/library/application support/basilisk games/book 2 saves

I hate to break it but none of those folders exist, or they exist in a location that wont allow me to search for it. Ive searched and found the locations of each of the folders except for basilisk games and book 2 saves. Users, library and application support are all mirrored in the wrong locations.

Im not angry at anyone really, just my own stupidity for not writing down where I found the folder the first time. I think the reason i found the folder before leaving the house was because it was 3 in the morning and I wasn't frustrated :(

If anyone can help with this situation, Id very much appreciate it.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
IJBall
Major
Major

Re: 3 Hours of searching-Cant find save folder on mac

Post by IJBall »

deathknight1728 wrote:Im pretty annoyed. I have copied the saves from my computer I was using at my parents. They had a mac and it was a little hard to find the saves but I found after a little trial and error. Now I am back to my computer and its been 3 hours of searching for the save folder for book 2. Little success.

It states on the main screen that the folder is /users/dknight/library/application support/basilisk games/book 2 saves

I hate to break it but none of those folders exist, or they exist in a location that wont allow me to search for it. Ive searched and found the locations of each of the folders except for basilisk games and book 2 saves. Users, library and application support are all mirrored in the wrong locations.

Im not angry at anyone really, just my own stupidity for not writing down where I found the folder the first time. I think the reason i found the folder before leaving the house was because it was 3 in the morning and I wasn't frustrated :(

If anyone can help with this situation, Id very much appreciate it.
There are multiple ways to get that info.

First, it really should be in the ../users/dknight/library/application support/basilisk games/book 2 saves/ folder, unless you altered the original save path.

Assuming you did alter it somehow there's two ways to get the path:

1) Open the general.cfg file with a text app/reader, and see what the new path is (if it indicates "savedgamepath=default" then it should be the ../users/dknight/library/application support/basilisk games/book 2 saves/ path.

2) Open the Book II game app, and get to the the Main Menu - click on the "Eschalon: Book II - Version... Copyright..." tag at the bottom: it will show you the current savegames pathway.
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Thanks, the problem with #2 is that the path I gave in this question is the one that the main menu gave.

I need to try #1 but I dont know where or how much a text app program costs. I might have to try download.com.
"As long as 60% of the things you do are good, it doesnt matter what the 40% is."-PQ

His face turns a twisted grin. Its a little disturbing. "Vicious vermin, I'd like to strangle every one of them."-Captain Johnson, Avernum
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

deathknight1728 wrote:Thanks, the problem with #2 is that the path I gave in this question is the one that the main menu gave.
OK, this is pointing in the direction of a different problem.

Are you on a Mac or a PC?

If you're on a PC, I wonder if your 'Book 2 Saved Games' folder got "hidden" on you somehow.

If you're on Mac, are you sure that there aren't scroll bars - i.e. are you sure the 'Book 2 Saved Games' folder isn't somewhere you have to 'scroll' to to make it visible to you?
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

I am on a mac and whenever I search for the book 2 saves it comes up with the folder that i saved to on my flashdrive to transport them.

I should have written down where the folder was when i took them 1st time. Its such a shame as I am lvl 18 in endgame and just want to complete the game.

I usually have some weird things happen when searching. I search for application support, no go. Yet when looking through library I find it and its contradicting. When I reach application support, basilisk games is nowhere to be found. And thats the folder I need to get the saves. Once there I just need to find book 2 saves which is fine.

Is there any other way other than searching to find basilisk games?

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

deathknight1728 wrote:I am on a mac...
That's good, as that's what I'm on, and I know a lot more about Mac issues than PC ones!
deathknight1728 wrote:...and whenever I search for the book 2 saves it comes up with the folder that i saved to on my flashdrive to transport them.
One thing to try, then, would be to "recopy" that folder back from your flashdrive to your /Application Support/Basilisk Games/ folder. (But see below, first...)
deathknight1728 wrote:I usually have some weird things happen when searching. I search for application support, no go. Yet when looking through library I find it and its contradicting. When I reach application support, basilisk games is nowhere to be found. And thats the folder I need to get the saves. Once there I just need to find book 2 saves which is fine.

Is there any other way other than searching to find basilisk games?
OK, try the following:
  1. Open your user account ../Library/ folder. Then open the ../Application Support/ folder.
  2. Hit the "B" key on your keyboard. That should highlight the first folder which starts with a "B" in its title (it'll probably be the ../Backup/ folder).
    Keep hitting the TAB key - that should cycle through all of the folders starting with the letter "B" inside your ../Application Support/ folder. The ../Basilisk Games/ folder should (hopefully) be one of them.
  3. If you do find the ../Basilisk Games/ folder, double-click on it. Then hit the "B" key again - it should take you directly to the "Book 2 Saved Games" folder. If you hit "B", and nothing happens, then copy the "Book 2 Saved Games" folder from your flashdrive to this ../Basilisk Games/ folder.
    If you don't have a ../Basilisk Games/ folder inside your ../Application Support/ folder, you may have to reinstall Book II... :(
If this doesn't work, there is something more substantially wrong with your system. Run the Disk Utility application - fix permissions, and have it Verify your hard drive.

If really weird things are happening, it may be a sign that your hard drive is going... :(
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

I don't think the computer is going because no other company's saved files have this happen. Spiderweb, Winter Wolves, and all gogames have a file that is simple to find. Even book 1 saved games is out in the open.

Anyway, I think that I have to uninstall the game. The problem is Ive never done that for a mac. After removing it by deletion is there any other ways to delete its presence from comp? I can still play the game even when its gone. This just keeps getting crazier and crazier.

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

deathknight1728 wrote:Anyway, I think that I have to uninstall the game. The problem is Ive never done that for a mac. After removing it by deletion is there any other ways to delete its presence from comp? I can still play the game even when its gone. This just keeps getting crazier and crazier.
Trashing the Eschalon Book II folder that's inside your Applications folder should do the trick in terms of Uninstalling. (It may still start up, even from your Trash, if you haven't emptied the Trash yet.)

In any case, I definitely think re-installing Book II sounds like a good idea in your case.

Once you've done that, you can copy your Book 2 Saved Games folder from your flashdrive back to the Basilisk Games application support folder, and that should restore your old characters.

Good luck!
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

I just deleted the game and when I reinstalled it to a different area, my old saves are still there and the game is still registered. Is there any way of removing the saves as they are still located in the place where they said last time. I checked at the main menu and it lists the same area.

IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

deathknight1728 wrote:I just deleted the game and when I reinstalled it to a different area, my old saves are still there and the game is still registered. Is there any way of removing the saves as they are still located in the place where they said last time. I checked at the main menu and it lists the same area.
Well, can you see the Saved Games folder now?
Also, have you tried copying the version of that from your flashdrive to the Application Support/Basilisk Games/ folder?

If neither of those work, I think you're going to have to use TextEdit to alter the Save Games pathway in the general.cfg file in the main Eschalon Book II folder...
deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

There is no saved games folder as application software is in the wrong place. Basilisk games doesn't exist either with book 2 saves in that same category. Somethings definitely wrong with this game in particular because Book 1 has a separate folder for saves but is right next to the game folder.

I tried to use the text edit but it won't let me edit the file. I admit Im not that savvy with macs but I don't know. These saves must be lost or something.

deathknight1728
Illustrious
Illustrious

Sorry for double post.

Its been about a few hours and 3 hours yesterday. I think that with 4 hours lost from the saves I no longer care about the hours I lost. And let that be a lesson for all you people that don't write down. I should've known I'd lose this one.

I want to thank you IJ ball for trying to make this work. I think that it wasn't that your advice was wrong, I think it was the saves location that was wrong. Im sorry for wasting your time :(

Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

I think it depends on your OS version as well, Deathknight. I just looked in the Application Support folders on mine and also don't see a Basilisk Games folder. I believe it may actually be hidden by the OS to prevent tampering. I know there's a way to show hidden folders, but I'm blanking it at the moment.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I think it depends on your OS version as well, Deathknight. I just looked in the Application Support folders on mine and also don't see a Basilisk Games folder. I believe it may actually be hidden by the OS to prevent tampering. I know there's a way to show hidden folders, but I'm blanking it at the moment.
I know how to search for hidden files, but there's nothing in 'Mac Help' about hidden folders.

Which version of Mac OS are you guys using? (I'm still using OS 10.6, which is maybe why mine still works like expected...)

If you guys really can't see the Basilisk Games folder, someone should probably drop BW a line, and let him know (i.e. including the details, like which Mac OS you guys are using) - he may need to reconfigure the Book II game installer for the Mac as a result...
Painted Lady
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Painted Lady »

See if this helps:

Open Finder
On the bar at the top select "GO"
Press and hold down the Option key on your keyboard at that time
This should show the the hidden system Library
Press on the Library option
Open the Application Support folder