Needed Fixes, and Suggestions, for v1.05: LIST Form

Windows support forum for Eschalon: Book II
IJBall
Major
Major

Needed Fixes, and Suggestions, for v1.05: LIST Form

Post by IJBall »

OK, because the Fixes and Requests for 1.05 thread has gotten a little unwieldy (and because it's missing a few things), I decided to put this info out again, this time in list form.

Here's what I have so far (if I'm missing anything, just add it to this thread, or PM me, and I'll add any new bug reports to this list - I'll start indicating updates with new replies to this thread as well; I may also update later to link bug reports to specific posts...):

BUGS REPORTED PREVIOUS TO v1.04: NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.05-ENGINE:
  • Camping right on top of a loot sack makes it disappear (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Can't highlight Sparrow's & Gammen's (among others'...) 'loot sacks' under certain 'drop' conditions - i.e. when 'loot sacks' drop behind wall-torches, wall-paintings or store-signs, etc. (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Storm sounds not ending (if storm ends at dawn?...) issue (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • "Off-screen" mobs (and can't be hit!) (Linux-only?) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • 'Ghosting' issue when Grid brought up (via TAB-key) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Hellice Lake cabin book -> a Widget!! (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Some dialogues can't be End-ed via keyboard (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Avatar "shown equipped when *not* equipped" if equipped weapons/armor placed directly into a container (e.g. a chest) bug (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Westwillow sound 'glitch'(?) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Can't take screenshots (via "P" key) when purchasing inventory screen is up (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Slow playing "Disarm Traps" (& "Pick Locks"(?)) movies (Mac only) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Issue with previously identified items becoming unidentified if you auto-stack them out of a container (e.g. a chest) with unidentified versions of the same into your inventory (reported here, below)
  • Issue with item-types "once ID'ed" (e.g. by merchant) not staying ID'ed (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread, and here (below))
  • Can't sell a stack of unidentified items - the 'Number Slider' won't even pop up (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • On-screen display still showing "1 GP" item repair cost to 100% "Perfect" items in pretty much all instances (though if you try to purchase the repair you will then be told that "the item does not need to be repaired at this time"...) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Crash in full-screen mode with multiple monitors (Linux only?) (maybe not fixable?...) (reported: Crash with full screen and multiple monitors thread)
  • Sometimes Combat Modes 'button' will "stick" (i.e. not work), and player will be unable to switch Combat Modes (reported here, below)
  • Occasional 'glitch' in which dungeon corners have a square black "hole" in the corner (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)

Exploits:
  • Exploit: Pressing "T" key for (lighting a) Torch doesn't take a round; but hitting the Torch *Button* does (reported: Question about torch "Flash Attack" thread, starting here) (also an issue in Book I)
  • Exploit: Clicking on a recipe that uses an unidentified reagent allows you to use that reagent anyway, despite not knowing what it is! (reported here, below)
  • Exploit: Issue with hitting the Space Bar (or the mouse button) in very quick succession passing a player 'multiple turns within a regular game turn' - e.g. allowing exploitably fast regeneration of MP's, and exploitably fast overcoming of Boreheads' 'stun' spell(?) (but issue may only seen with magic-using characters?) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread, and here below)
  • Exploit: On non-Mac platforms (or Linux only maybe?...) holding CTRL and the right mouse button simultaneously causes the action you're taking to happen over and over again very rapidly in quick succession passing multiple turns for the player, but not for mobs (discussed: in Book I forum Just Finished thead; and here, below) (also an issue in Book I)
  • Exploit: Taking something out of your Inventory and "holding it with the cursor" removes that weight from your Encumbrance - if you then hit "W" (or the keyboard keys for moving, or Quick-Travel), you can walk around without that item's weight in your Encumbrance (reported: Carrying more than you should thread, and also here (Book I thread)) (also an issue in Book I)
NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.05-GUI: NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.05-MAP ISSUES:
  • NO weather presets for the 'East Raven's Gate' map (i.e. map set to neither "regular" weather nor "winter" weather) - "winter" weather should probably be set to "On" in E Raven's Gate (reported here, below)
  • The three 'skeletal remains' at the Farrock Cave entrance (South - i.e. near the monument) are supposed to be clickable, but are "broken" (reported: here (in the "Probably should have been mentioned before" thread))
  • A treasure chest on the Yoma River Valley map (at X=71, Y=101) is supposed to be clickable/openable, but is "broken" (reported: here (in the "Probably should have been mentioned before" thread))
  • "blocked" grids (i.e. can't enter): e.g. 'trap area' in Port K. sewers just outside Thieves' Arcadia, Talushorn exterior (& others?...) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Hammerlorne, Level 3 - Devilmander chamber - you can still walk directly through the closed right gate, north-side lever of "Devilmander chamber" (Grid: X=41(?), Y=130(?)) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.05-GAME PLAY-GENERAL:
  • Can't quaff Mana Potions when MP is "full", or Healing Potions when HP is "full" (but can do that with water and "full" Thirst bar...) - should be able to (i.e. just like "pouring a potion (or water) out, on to the ground...") (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Powder kegs disappear if picked up when inventory is full (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • NO auto-stacking when items bought from vendors (also, items sold to vendor don't auto-stack on vendor side either!) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Resistances are supposed to 'cap out' at a 99% maximum, but either casting an Element Armor spell or drinking a Potion of Greater Protection will still raise Elemental Resistance over 100% (reported: here and here)
  • Issue with Portal spell in the Spell Book displaying the anchor point locations not on the Portal spell line, but on the line below that (e.g. where the Supernova spell is) meaning that in some case the anchor point locations do NOT get displayed! (reported here, below)
NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.05-GAME PLAY-SKILLS:
  • Issue with Hide in Shadows being "broken" by discovery, and never regenerating! (at least, in Hammerlorne) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Repair is "broken" if Plasma Wand is equipped as main weapon (reported: Not Repairing thread)
  • Repair skill "over-repairing" items to 1 GP over their normal item price in some instances (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.05-GAME PLAY-COMBAT: NEEDED BUG FIXES FOR v1.05-GAME PLAY-MISC:
  • Issues with Items pricing and Damage/AR - especially involving 'level-scaled' "random" treasure items being undervalued (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread and Compendium of Locations thread)
  • NO key to Security Door on Level 3 of Hammerlorne (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Edwin & Gammen, and Big Sal & Keebo, share the exact same character portraits (by design, or not?) (reported: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • WARNING! - SPOILERS!!... If you kill Korren in the Crius Vindica hideout, but then use the Spyglass at game's end Korren will still appear anyway! (Also, Korren is much easier to kill in the hideout than he is at game's end...) (reported to me via PM)
  • If you kill the Sentinel Stalk east of Everdale before talking to Travet the innkeeper in Everdale, you are no longer given the option to complete the "Bath House weed" quest (reported: Weed in the Bathhouse quest thread)
  • Issues with Edwin (in Port K.) being too touchy about "seeing a crime" (even just *touching* the door in his office!) (reported: Edwin bug thread)
  • Quick Traveling doesn't "expire" turn-dependent spells like it should - e.g. Reveal Map, Gravedigger's Flame, etc. "last beyond" a 'Quick Travel'! (also an issue in Book I, I believe...)
  • Is Magi Surami in Port K. supposed to drop the same 'Bluish Key' as Father Tyrus, or is he supposed to drop a *different key* (or is this a bug of some sort?...) (see Magi Surami question thread)
  • Possible issue with games in which the "degrade armor/weapons" option is set to "OFF" - in these games, some items (perhaps only starting items?...) can be obtained in less than "Perfect" condition, despite the fact that the game does not display Item Condition in "degrade armor/weapons=OFF" games (reported here, below)
SUGGESTIONS for v1.05:
  • Make damage for when Hunger/Thirst is at zero "progressive"
  • Need 'fixed' merchant 'sale' slot for Empty Flasks and Torches in Eastwillow; # of Empty Flasks for sale needs to be upped generally (in Fixes for 1.05 thread, sort of...)
  • Issues with Items ID'ing, INT & Lore (discussed in Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Fellpine Forest map issues (discussed: Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • Pricing re: recipes (mentioned in Fixes for 1.05 thread)
  • No weapons preset hotkey anymore (was: Enter) - in general, more Hotkeys are needed/requested (save for Book III?...)
  • Invisibility (and Haste?) potions effects too long?
  • Make armor with Elemental resistance themselves resistant to fire/lava as well
  • Various weapons suggestions: e.g. Gravedigger's Flame Helm, higher Base Damage staffs and daggers, Cartographer's Sandals, Gloves with Unarmed Combat bonus (e.g. for further imbuing), etc.
  • Increase the duration of the Reveal Map spell to a flat 100 or 160 Turns, rather than making the spell's duration dependent on level-cast-at
  • Cartography suggestions: Give (open) barrels their own unique Cartography color again, as in Book I. Ditto the walls (i.e. sides) of caves (e.g. Farrock caves). Make torch-stands and lamp-posts 'orange' dots just like wall-torches. Make up/down stairs a more uniquely distinguishable feature (what color tho?...).
  • Add a second scroll seller/merchant in Port K (either the innkeeper, or the general store) (discussed in: Spell Vendors! thread)
  • Check that the prices for Alchemically-imbued weapons make sense (e.g. only +50 GP for a +1 imbuing?...) (discussed: this post in the Bug & Error Compendium nr. 2 thread)
  • Improve weather options (for individual maps) so that some maps can have a random chance of either "regular" weather or "winter" weather (or save for Book III?...)
  • Add more purchasable Arrows (esp. "regular" Arrows?...) to the 'endgame' (e.g. the blacksmith at Picaroon Isle)
  • minor: Get the Goblin Dice to "work" (with Dice-rolling sound FX!) when "used" by Right-Click
  • Add-on expansion: Put the recipe for Potion of Restoration into the expansion! (mentioned in Fixes for 1.05 thread)
GRAMMAR/TYPO ISSUES (selected): MISC. ISSUES:
  • Revise Book II Player's Manual for v1.05 (see: Player's Manual typos thread)
  • If you load up Book I and Book II (e.g. in 'Windowed' mode), the music from the two applications overlaps each other! (Is there a way to make one app's sounds "dominant" over the other's?!...)
Last edited by IJBall on August 28th, 2010, 10:52 am, edited 20 times in total.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Re: Needed Fixes, and Suggestions, for v1.05: LIST Form

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

The issue of the Plasma Wand breaking repair when equipped I mentioned here. I wasn't sure if it was a Mac-only bug, and have not heard from anyone on Windows or Linux confirming that they've seen the issue, so probably some folks should test.

Also, in the IDing stuff, there's the issue of previously identified items becoming unidentified if you auto-stack them out of a storage chest with unidentified versions of the same in your inventory.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but there's also the issue of things not staying IDd. You have mercury you use mercury, you suddenly have no idea what mercury is.

Also, if you click on a recipe that uses an unidentified reagent, you can use it anyway, despite not knowing what it is.
BasiliskWrangler
Site Admin

Post by BasiliskWrangler »

Thank you for this, IJBall! I was already losing track of things in the other thread.

Please do your best to keep this list up-to-date, and I'll just check off fixes as they are completed.
See my ramblings and keep up with the latest news on Twitter & Facebook.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

BasiliskWrangler wrote:Thank you for this, IJBall! I was already losing track of things in the other thread.
No prob! :)
BasiliskWrangler wrote:Please do your best to keep this list up-to-date, and I'll just check off fixes as they are completed.
Random question, BW - would it be hard to add a 'strikethrough' text (e.g. "[strike]...[/strike]") option to these message boards?

It would be much easier to keep this list as is, and just 'strike' entries that are fixed as they are reported fixed.

Thanks!
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

IJBall wrote:Issues with Items pricing and Damage/AR(?)
It was me - although I wasn't the first one - who reported that prices are sometimes a bit strange, but I like to add that I've come to like it.
It adds to strategy and variety.
IJBall wrote:Random question, BW - would it be hard to add a 'strikethrough' text (e.g. "[strike]...[/strike]") option to these message boards?
I would like that option!

Inconsistant experience awarding:
I've been getting experience from an enemy getting caught by a poison trap, but I've also not been getting experience from an enemy who was fighting me while standing on a lava square.
What the explanation probably is is that you can poison an enemy and only cause death several turns after, so I guess the game automatically gives experience to every death caused by poison, so the enemy walking onto a poison trap adds to your score as well.
For fire damage this doesn't go. I was positioning myself in such a way that my enemy had to step on a lava square to attack. The battle was taking place for several turns, but the last bit of damage that my enemy took was from the lava, so I didn't get the experience.
Maybe this is a bit tricky to program this right, but I thought I'd mention it.

It's probably a bit related to a kill getting counted as a killl by magic if the last few hitpoints were taken away by the magic enhancement of a weapon (reported by Dragonslayer) but I don't find that one so bad, after all; you are using magic.
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Given the number of times that creatures attack each other, it's fairly safe to give the character xp for every thing that dies. Occasionally you'll get experience you don't deserve, but that'll be a much smaller number of incidents, and I'd wager it'll be easy to code in the exceptions.
Kreador Freeaxe
Major General
Major General

Post by Kreador Freeaxe »

KillingMoon wrote:
IJBall wrote:Issues with Items pricing and Damage/AR(?)
It was me - although I wasn't the first one - who reported that prices are sometimes a bit strange, but I like to add that I've come to like it.
IJBall wrote:Random question, BW - would it be hard to add a 'strikethrough' text (e.g. "[strike]...[/strike]") option to these message boards?
I would like that option!

Inconsistant experience awarding:
I've been getting experience from an enemy getting caught by a poison trap, but I've also not been getting experience from an enemy who was fighting me while standing on a lava square.
What the explanation probably is is that you can poison an enemy and only cause death several turns after, so I guess the game automatically gives experience to every death caused by poison, so the enemy walking onto a poison trap adds to your score as well.
For fire damage this doesn't go. I was positioning myself in such a way that my enemy had to step on a lava square to attack. The battle was taking place for several turns, but the last bit of damage that my enemy took was from the lava, so I didn't get the experience.
Maybe this is a bit tricky to program this right, but I thought I'd mention it.

It's probably a bit related to a kill getting counted as a killl by magic if the last few hitpoints were taken away by the magic enhancement of a weapon (reported by Dragonslayer) but I don't find that one so bad, after all; you are using magic.
The lava annoyed me in my last play through when the stupid tauraxes would run away and commit suicide rather than face me--depriving me of my rightful XP.

However, I know I mentioned earlier a weird thing about XP from kills when I did a little playing as a non-violent character. I would get the various rats and dragonels around Eastwillow to chase me back to town where usually the guard would kill them, but occasionally there would be enough that I'd get all the way to the priest and he'd flesh boil them. If the priest killed them, I got XP.
---

Kill 'em all, let the sysadmin sort 'em out.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

Update: Newest update to list made today (07/30/10).
KillingMoon wrote:
IJBall wrote:
  • Issues with Items pricing and Damage/AR(?)
Yeah, the question mark there is to indicate that it may, or may not, be a real issue (it's not a question about who brought this topic up... :wink: ).

I'm in the camp that would like it looked into - frankly 35 GP for a Base Damage=6 machete really does seem too low to me; and the Copper Studded Vest with AR=1 and a price of ~70 GP seems ridiculously too expensive to me.

It's probably only a few items that need to be repriced is all, though maybe there's a slight problem with the pricing formula itself...
Rowanas
Council Member

Post by Rowanas »

Here's another thing I'd like, related to the current point. To be able to sell things for less than their value, kind of "alright, I'll take whatever you've got". It annoys me that I can't sell something for 1000 if the item is worth 1001. I need them money, so I'd happily let them off the tuppence difference. I've had a couple of items worth a lot of money that I can't sell anywhere because the merchants in Kuudad, Everdale and Eastwillow never have enough to buy them and the merchants of Durnor and Picaroon can only buy one each before becoming completely skint.
s4br3
Apprentice

Post by s4br3 »

As I've said before, a barter system with gold making up the difference in prices would fix the gold on hand issues.

You could, of course, use all gold to make up the "difference". It's a trade none the less.

:D
Insufficient Data for Meaningful Answer.
IJBall
Major
Major

Post by IJBall »

s4br3 wrote:As I've said before, a barter system with gold making up the difference in prices would fix the gold on hand issues.

You could, of course, use all gold to make up the "difference". It's a trade none the less.
Something like this is very likely the answer. But I'm not expecting to see it before Book III...
s4br3
Apprentice

Post by s4br3 »

I don't expect it in Book II any time soon, but I can hope. :mrgreen:

Book III is another matter though. I really really hope it makes it into Book III.

I'll be waiting. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Insufficient Data for Meaningful Answer.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

Kreador Freeaxe wrote:I know I mentioned earlier a weird thing about XP from kills when I did a little playing as a non-violent character. I would get the various rats and dragonels around Eastwillow to chase me back to town where usually the guard would kill them, but occasionally there would be enough that I'd get all the way to the priest and he'd flesh boil them. If the priest killed them, I got XP.
It looks like all magick kills give experience to your character. There's also the friendly dead guy in WestWillow. You can drag other undead to him, he will kill them with his magick and you will get the XP.
KillingMoon
Officer [Gold Rank]
Officer [Gold Rank]

Post by KillingMoon »

IJBall wrote:
KillingMoon wrote:
IJBall wrote:
  • Issues with Items pricing and Damage/AR(?)
Yeah, the question mark there is to indicate that it may, or may not, be a real issue (it's not a question about who brought this topic up... :wink: ).
The intention with the question mark was clear to me.

Probably the somewhat weird pricing wasn't intended, but I like the strategy questions it can generate; will I use the really cheap damage 6 machete with lesser repair costs, or will I go for the big skull splitter, with a bit more damage, but with huge repair costs?

The code responsible for generating loot is probably different from the one responsible for generating shop inventory. I think there would be a problem when you could buy a damage 6 weapon in a shop for only 35 gold, especially early on, but if you're only finding that as loot as a level 10 character, there's not an issue in my opinion. Just wanted to make my point of view clearer.